[mythtv-users] Playback on Vista laptop

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Sep 24 17:18:15 UTC 2008

stuart wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>> It is streaming. Just slowly for whatever reason.
>>
>>> I saw this thread and had to follow up!  I have a newly purchased HP
>>> Vista laptop and happened upon the Mythtv UPNP server similarly.
>>>
>>> However, in my experiance the Vista/HP Media Center (similar to the
>>> one
>>> mentioned above??) only worked for NTSC recordings.  It did not work
>>> for
>>> ATSC recordings - no matter what the resolution.  That is to say: It
>>> didn't work for ATSC 1080, it didn't work for ATSC 720 and it didn't
>>> even work for ATSC standard-definition (i.e. old TV shows (assume
>>> 512 or
>>> 256).
>> It sounds like you don't have the proper codec installed in Windows
>> Media Player to play back those files.
>>
>> -Brad
>>

> Sorry to bump this so late (20+ days after last post) but I could use a
> little help.
>
> (I don't like the "try this and see what happens" approach and would
> rather do something that has worked for others.)
>
> I agree, the stock "HP Media Center" used to playback UPNP accessible
> mythtv recordings is probably "short" w.r.t. codecs for playing back
> ATSC OTA mythtv recordings.  But where do you get codecs for Vista?  I
> found this (trusted) site:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=06fcaab7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en
>
> ..but it has a date of publication which is over 4 years old!  And I'm
> not sure if this M$ codec update package only works for the M$ media
> player or will also work for the HP media player.  Humm, I'm not even
> sure if the HP media player is a rebranded M$ media player.
>
> ...thanks for any help.

I googled around codec packs a month or so ago to make Vista media
player playback Mythtv recordings.  I eventually installed K-Lite Codec
Pack - which worked for me.

I too was a bit wary of these "packs", but this one seemed to be used
and recommended by quite a few people around the web.  Now just about
every video I try to play works.

Robert.