[mythtv-users] UTF-8 Support in MythTV still looks messed up to me

leo fischer lsf.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:01:52 UTC 2008

I don't wish to cause offense either but:

>If we knew where, it would be there. What we need/ed/ were reports of
>where the data handling breaks so that we could inspect the code and
>find the missing (or, in some cases, possibly redundant) conversions

The poster stated that the problem is observable using XMLTV's tv_grab_jp
script.
The same information is also on the linked wiki page.  I've seen the problem
mentioned several times, but I haven't seen any useful responses.  (like
this almost 2 years ago, completely ignored
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246353?search_string=utf-8;#246353
)
Is it necessary to open a ticket to bring it to someone's attention?

> IMHO, the proper way of dealing with it in 0.21-fixes is to live with
>the problems/mangled text.

As someone who has tried this as well, this is a total non-solution.  The
text that's displayed in the guide isn't just slightly damaged, it's
mangled.  junk.  The whole schedule is the equivalent of $%!@%^T!TG$!#F!$!%
If you would find your system with no guide data, I'd be surprised.

Now, that being said, I'd really like to have my system working properly as
well, and am capable of reviewing the code, and even doing some debugging if
someone were to be helpful enough to point me in the right direction.

The xml created by the grabber does seem to be well formed, so I'd think the
problem is somewhere downstream.