[mythtv-users] Trouble with DVB-C

Oyvind Eriksen oyvind at eriksen.cn
Tue Sep 23 22:30:43 UTC 2008

I've been having trouble converting to DVB-C from analog.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE card from earlier and recently
bought a Technotrend C2300 DVB-C card. At first I had big trouble with
picture quality. It was rubbish, unwatchable. I have a DVB-C tuner box
from the cable TV company where the picture quality is good so the
signal is not an issue. I thought I'd tried everything until I booted up
Windows XP and installed the software and drivers from Technotrend.
There it worked perfectly. After booting up Ubuntu again, without doing
any changes, suddenly the picture quality was good in MythTV as well. At
least until now (and hopefully forever). I dunno whats happen, I can
only guess that some new firmware or something got loaded into the card?
Anyway, what I still have problem with is while changing to some
channels, or start Watch TV when one of the same channels is the last
channel, it freezes for a while and the error "Error was encountered
while displaying video." comes up. I've attached the log from both
backend and frontend (is the same machine btw) from when watching a
channel and I changes to a "problem channel" and when starting watching
TV and one of the "problem channels" is the startup channel. And whats
even more strange is that the channels with problems changes. I can
watch Discovery for several hours before quickly switching to some other
channel and when I switches back to Discovery the problem occurs. Then I
can't watch Discovery on the DVB-C card for hours, or days...

I'm hope you understand what I mean.
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 with a Intel quad core 2,4Ghz CPU, 4GB
memory, 2x 320GB S-ATA disks in RAID 1 (mirroring), Nvidia GeForce 8500
GT 512MB. Not to brag or anything but just to tell that hardware isn't
an issue. I've been searching through this mailing list and on google,
and tried a lot of things, but not found a solution.

If you need more information, or more detailed logs, just let me know.
Every bit of help is very welcomed!

Oyvind