[mythtv-users] USB->Serial for controlling DirecTV boxes

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 23 13:33:09 UTC 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:

> A related topic:
>
> I have a need to control an HR21 DirecTV DVR, independent of Myth.
> This
> DVR is doing some VLC streaming. Is there any standalone
> hardware/software for this? The hardware connection could be
> HR21-USB<>PC-USB or HR21-USB<>PC-Serial. (I presume there is no way to
> the HR21 with the HR21 ethernet).

Hook it up the same way you would when using myth. The "USB" port on
the box only looks like a USB port, but it's actually a serial port,
so you still need to go HR21->USB to Serial->Null Modem->PC-Serial.

If by PC you mean Windows, check here for software: http://www.dtvcontrol.com/
Otherwise, the channel change script on the mythtv wiki will work.