[mythtv-users] USB->Serial for controlling DirecTV boxes

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Sep 22 22:46:10 UTC 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Tim Shannon wrote:

> I just use ir blasting.  I read a lot before hand that it was
> "unreliable" to use an ir blaster to change channels, but I already
> had one with my hauppage pvr 150, so decided to try it.  I have the
> blaster duct-taped over the direct tv STB IR reciever, and it works
> fine for me.

Yeah, I've got a dual irblaster, but the serial connection is so
convenient and invisible in my setup. Plus, it works without
installing lirc (I use an IR receiver whose driver uses its own
specially compiled lirc instance and I'm not sure I could get them to
play nicely with each other).

I just contacted a sales rep from from serialio.com and he's going to
check with their engineering department on the chip they're selling.