[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Best quality SD TV picture from DVB-T source

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Sep 22 22:24:24 UTC 2008

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Maatt wrote:
>>> Ooo, that could be it. How do I turn it off.
>>
>> google for "TVDeflicker".
>
> Woo hoo! Setting that to 0 helps. For the first time, I can see the
> individual scan lines in interlace_test.mpg, and the two top corners
> flicker as they are supposed to.

Turning TVDeflicker off really has made a huge difference.
The picture is far better. In terms of sharpness and smoothness
of playback, there is now next to no difference between my
MythTV frontend and my old DVRs. The colours are still not
so bright, but that seems to matter less now the picture
is sharper - I'm not sure why.

This has uncovered another problem, which I guess
TVDeflicker was covering up. Sometimes the system
syncs to the wrong field. I think instead of getting
fields [1,2] [3,4] [5,6]..., I get [3,2] [5,4] [7,6]. I'd
read that there was a problem like this with some of the
chips supported by openchrome. If I mess with rewind or
pause for a while I can get it to sync correctly again,
and then it stays right at least until I mess with rewind
or pause again.  Not a huge problem. I'd also read
that use of bobdeint can cure this problem. I tried it
and it does look to help, but then my system can't quite
keep up with some content.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Really has helped no
end.

Cheers,
	Paul.