[mythtv-users] Playing Video Streams Using MPlayer

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Mon Sep 22 13:01:37 UTC 2008

I want to be able to play the video stream from my Webcam and for
various reasons I don't want to use Zoneminder. I can play the stream OK
 by opening its url in MPLayer. However, what I would like to do is to
play it in MPlayer directly from MythTV.

I can think of a couple of possibilities:

* Create a "dummy" video file that shows up in MythVideo that just
launches mplayer with the correct url.

* Hack the menu to create a new item that launches mplayer with the
correct url.

The menu hack is easiest, but has the disadvantage of needing to be
re-applied every time I upgrade.

Can anyone thing of any alternative methods?

Ian.