[mythtv-users] Interesting LCD Display

Bob Wiegand bob_ml at stuffofmine.com
Mon Sep 22 12:47:02 UTC 2008

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> The tarball avaialble at mini-box.com is a CVS version of 0.5.2. Since
> I prefer using RPMs whenever possible, and since I can't figure out
> why checkinstall (which auto-builds packages directly from source)
> isn't working on my 64-bit Centos frontend yet, and since the compiled
> version of the CVS lcdproc at mini-box.com is for i386 only, I
> compiled from source then manually copied picolcd.so into
> /usr/lib64/lcdproc.
>
> With the above the 20x4 display works, with the following caveats:
>
> * The backlight is very dim compared to how it is when the machine is
>   first powered up. I am not sure whether it's something that can be
>   fixed within LCDd.conf or if the variance between the stock RPM and
>   the CVS picolcd.so driver is causing it.
>
> * Restarting LCDd from the command line with the stock RedHat-style
>   init scripts in the RPM causes it to output tons of data to the
>   screen (so much so that even logging out won't kill it, over SSH at
>   least). Also, this means that LCDd, when started near the end of the
>   boot cycle, beeps repeatedly until (I think) stdout from the driver
>   is redirected. Fiddling with the log level and output options in
>   LCDd.conf has no effect as far as I can tell. Again, unclear if this
>   is something the driver mix is causing.
>
> I need to try using a different LCDproc package and see if that helps
> these issues, and/or just bite the bullet and completely install the
> CVS LCDproc from source.

I also see the backlight problem. I sent an email to mini-box customer
support and they indicated that a new version was coming out soon
that should fix it.

The messages are because the driver code from mini-box uses fprintf(stderr,)
statements for logging. This is different than the normal release code.
It should be possible to redirect stderr to /dev/null.

I haven't tried the IR either.

Bob