[mythtv-users] MythTV and digital cable service

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 22 01:19:56 UTC 2008

Rohit Chaudhri wrote:
> Hi,
> I am considering installing some DVR software on a laptop so that I can
> use it as a DVR. So currently looking at MythTV and Yahoo Go for TV as
> possible options. I currently get channels over analog, so starting Feb
> 2009 with the nationwide switch to DTV, this will stop working and I'll
> probably get digital cable TV service from a provider like Comcast, AT&T
> etc.

Only OTA broadcasts are mandated to cease 2/09, cable systems are not
required to stop analog broadcasts, although many probably will eventually.

> So I want my laptop DVR system to be compatible with the digital cable
> service I'll have in the future. With this in mind, the questions I have
> are:
> - What digital TV tuner card, compatible with MythTV, should I consider
> purchasing that'll work to record and playback digital programs received
> via a set-top box? I'd want my DVR system to record/playback all
> channels I receive from my STB - not just local non-scrambled HDTV channels.
> - I don't exactly understand how all of this works, but as long as I
> have a digital TV tuner card compatible with MythTV - will any card work
> to record/playback any of my subscribed channels?

Only the unencrypted ones, which in most markets is only the off-airs
and perhaps things like CSPAN.

Essentially, if you need an STB to receive it, you will need an STB to
record it with MythTV, unless it is analog.

You will be able to receive analog cable channels with Myth, as long as
the cable system continues to transmit them. While those broadcasts
might go away eventually I don't think any system will stop them in
2/09, the public outcry would be just too much. At least in my market,
the cable system is running ads proclaiming that your analog TV will
continue to work as long as you are connected to cable.

beww