[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 00:16:54 UTC 2008

2008/9/20 Edmund <edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com>:
> I currently use hdparm -S120 so the hard drives turn off after 10
> minutes. I seem to get about 8W per drive when they spin down, however
> the / drive never seems to spin down. I guess it must be logging things
> or something.
>
> I currently use 2 drives for myth and 1 for file serving and another for
> backing up the pcs. These are spun down most of the time. I am thinking
> of converting all four to a RAID 5 array. I obviously get 25% less
> storage, but I assume that whenever any disc is being accessed all 4
> will be on.

I actually have my storage broken up a little more partially for that reason.
I have a 40GB system disk (with log files and sql)
4x400GB disks in raid5 & 3x750GB disks in raid5.
Using LVM2 over the top most of the time only one array is spun up as
my only striped volume is a temp directory (for ripping, transcoding,
dumping, etc where disk access can really bottleneck).

For even more time spun down you could have your livetv group use a
separate, single disk.

cheers,
Owen.

N.B. Please don't top post.