[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Edmund edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Sep 20 10:40:14 UTC 2008

I currently use hdparm -S120 so the hard drives turn off after 10
minutes. I seem to get about 8W per drive when they spin down, however
the / drive never seems to spin down. I guess it must be logging things
or something.

I currently use 2 drives for myth and 1 for file serving and another for
backing up the pcs. These are spun down most of the time. I am thinking
of converting all four to a RAID 5 array. I obviously get 25% less
storage, but I assume that whenever any disc is being accessed all 4
will be on.