[mythtv-users] Any Blu-Ray success stories?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 19 21:09:04 UTC 2008

Norm wrote:
> Compiling from a recent svn of mplayer solved my problem with playback.
> Can play the EAC3 without any problems.  The other issue I had was the
> resolution - I had to use mplayer options to reduce the resolution so I
> could watch it smoothly.

Since my last message, I rebuilt mplayer & ffmpeg from svn trunk; after
twiddling some options, I got playback working.  The only snag is that audio
gets downmixed to stereo.  I next need to at least transcode the audio to AC3
so mplayer can spew that out a S/PDIF jack for multichannel playback.  I might
also transcode the video to H.264 while I'm at it (haven't checked my other
discs yet, but the Caddyshack HD-DVD uses VC-1).

Some sort of live AC3 encoding, whether in software or hardware, would sidestep
this problem.  I'd swear I've run across references to soundcards that do live
AC3 encoding before, but I don't recall any manufacturer or model information.
  While searching, I found this:

http://www.essej.net/ac3jack/

Using this would require rebuilding MythTV and mplayer with JACK support, but
it should allow transcoding audio to any space-efficient codec you want (like
Vorbis or AAC) and converting it to AC3 on the fly.  I might have to look into
that.

> I couldn't get dumpHD to work for my blu-ray stuff. It seemed to not
> find the aacs keys even though I had the software available to
> automatically find them.

My understanding is that Blu-Ray has another DRM scheme available to it, BD+.
DumpHD doesn't handle that, so it won't decrypt discs that use it.  It'll only
handle Blu-Ray discs that use AACS (or that use no DRM at all, but then you
could just copy files directly from the disc).

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter