[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 19 18:12:21 UTC 2008

Mike Perkins wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>>> A more efficient PSU will reduce the heat generation, at least a bit.
>>>
>> How about a lower wattage one so that powersupply operates in the most
>> efficient band under peak load.
>>
> Doesn't necessarily follow. I had PSU troubles till I realised that the
> motherboard in question needed more 3.3v than the PSU could supply. I now have a
> 550W PSU driving a m/b with a total drain of 55W, and cold, too. It could
> probably work with a smaller PSU, but the m/b is a replacement for one that
> melted down. More efficient -> more modern, from what I have seen lately.

That's the problem with using a single number to rate a PSU, when there
are actually 4 or 5 ratings that are required to properly spec them.

But the best one I ever heard was a gamer type who told me that his
computer runs "much faster" since he replaced his 500 watt supply with a
750 watt unit. My Kill-a-Watt says he is drawing about 180 watts :-)

I think his situation is in the realm of the psychologists, not the
technicians.

beww