[mythtv-users] hdtv tuner cards with STB

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:49:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:43 AM, gyrlla gyrlla <gyrlla22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if the Hauppauge HD PVR is the only tuner device right now
> that can record from HD set top boxes (STB). I'm trying to decide whether to
> get a HDHomerun, a Hauppauge HVR 1600, or a Hauppauge HD PVR. Right now, I
> have a PVR-150 and I want to add one more tuner at least. I may want to have
> that second or third tuner be able to get channels from another STB -
> haven't decided whether just a local broadcast antenna will be enough. If
> the HDHomeRun can connect to a STB (doesn't have to be HD set top box), then
> it's probably the one I'll buy. Your inputs and suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

The HDHomeRun and HVR 1600 will connect directly to your cable outlet,
not your cable box.  They will only record unencrypted QAM channels
over cable.

The HD-PVR will record whatever is coming out of the component outputs
on your cable box.

Another option (depending on your cable box / cable provider) is to
use the Firewire port on your cable box.  I can get nearly every
channel (all of the HDs, except HistoryHD) over my Firewire output.
YMMV.