[mythtv-users] Neuros OSD 2.0 could make a good FE or BE for $250

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Wed Sep 17 18:46:25 UTC 2008

> I was thinking of it as a frontend to MythTv.  If it does give multi
> channel via HDMI then I would buy it.

Here is a thread with a link to more specs and some more info from one of
the devs:
http://groups.google.com/group/Neuros/browse_thread/thread/437441d4dd242bab.
He does confirm that they will have audio out via hdmi. They didn't include
hdmi input because they didn't want to deal with the issues surrounding
encryption on hdmi in. He also said that hadn't included digital audio
inputs and outputs because they didn't think there would be that much
demand. I guess they are going to market this as a video/DVD archiving
machine. Aparently these are just dev kits so everything isn't set in stone
yet. I bet if enough people request it then spdif could be included in the
final versions.

There is also more info on their wiki:
http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/OSD_2.0_HD. It looks like this is
more likely to be a decent frontend for some folks. It seems less
appropriate as a backend, with the limited options for tuners, audio in,
etc. Although it is nice to have another choice if you want to record from
component.