[mythtv-users] Problem to connect to remote backend

OJ ole at legaard.net
Wed Sep 17 02:56:59 UTC 2008

> The version of the mysql server on the frontend is irrelevant since
> mythtv is not using that at all (you don't even need to have it
> installed and most instructions tell you not to install it so you
> don't get confused thinking you are using it by mistake). What you
> should be concerned with is the mysql client version on the frontend.
> Since it is at 5.2 (I'm guessing based on your mysql server version),
> this will have no problem connecting to mysql 5.0 on your backend.

I have now tried to removed the mysql server on the frontend to make sure it
is not causing any confusion. (same problem is still there).

> 64bit clients can communicate with 32bit servers and vice-versa. I do
> it all the time. I'm sorry I missed the beginning of this thread, but
> this is definitely not the problem.

> You may need to use OLD_PASSWORD as discussed here:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
> But I don't think that's the problem, either.

Thank you for the link. I will give it a try...

> You might want to turn on verbose logging so you can see exactly what
> the frontend is doing when it "freezes".

I have already done this, and you can see the verbose output from both the
backend and frontend on this link: http://pastebin.com/f42a2ac24.

> The server is not returning a
> connection error, so I don't think the request is making it to the
> backend at all.

My conclusion is that the request makes it to the backend, because if the
backend is not running the frontend will start just fine. Also after the
frontend freezes it will start after I stop the backend.

I actualy receives this error message on the frontend after i stop the
backend:
2008-09-10 21:28:41.667 Unable to connect to database!
2008-09-10 21:28:41.667 Driver error was [1/2013]:
QMYSQL: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet',
system error: 0

> You did open all the default mythtv ports along with
> the mysql port, yes?

As far as I know yes. I have also tried to disable the firewall on the
backend. It did not make any difference. I have not done this on the
frontend since I was thinking that it is not required...