[mythtv-users] No reception or EIT for Channel 5 in Essex

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 21:09:48 UTC 2008

> I think you need to back to collage   a little .
>
> I did state UK and COAX i care not for the US system of 300 Ohm ribon

Free space is 377 ohms so they build antennas at 300 ohms to match
into free space.  Then they use a 4:1 transformer (a balum) to match
to the 75 ohm coax.  I see from looking at amazon.co.uk that all your
antennas have balums built in for some reason.  Sorry, I did not
realize that.

I also didn't realize that hybrid combiners like these:
https://www.tselectronic.com/chanplus/2532_34.html
had not made it over there yet.  You really should get some so you
don't have to mismatch the coax the way you explained in your writeup.
 Too bad you use such junk over there when these combiners are so
inexpensive.

By the way, I have a Masters in EE from Stanford, an Extra Class Ham
license, and 30 years experience in RF.  That is enough education for
now.

Allen