[mythtv-users] Cable Programmers versus the FCC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 16 20:04:35 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> For US (and Canadian) myth users, The Blog of the Legal Times (*BLT*)
> reports on a scrap between cable channel progam providers and the FCC
> regarding carriage rules.... which impact what *we* receive over cable.
>
> http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2008/09/cable-programme.html

Then there is this part:

"And Kavanaugh noted that boxes to allow analog subscribers to receive
digital signals would ensure that the programmers’ First Amendment
rights were not violated."

This is not necessarily the case. The boxes I've seen receive ATSC, not
QAM, and would thus be useless on a CATV system.

Too bad, it might force the systems to carry more clear QAM.

Guess it proves that judges are usually attorneys, not engineers.

beww