[mythtv-users] pcHDTV analog on 0.21 ?

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 16 15:25:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:20:11AM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
> > I went off Ubuntu when they installed the 'mythtv' user with a
> > strange made-up
> > password that they didn't tell the installer, and that didn't work
> > with the
> > mythtv package that was provided in the very same install.
> > 'security' shouldn't
> > mean preventing the user from using the features they install from
> > the distro on
> > their own system.
> >
> > (Ubuntu may have changed that 'feature' by now. I don't care, they
> > lost my
> > interest already.)
>
> Oh, I thought you were talking about the fact that security is tight
> on mysql so your mythtv user can't log in. I agree - it's completely
> stupid for a packager to make up a mysql password for you.

That's what I was talking about. I fail to see the security lost
if the distro would simply set it up so that the mythtv user
(and only that user) can log-in with a random password that only the
installer has seen (or heck, maybe he hasn't even seen).

Even after running mc.sql, mythtv couldn't log in. It took more
searching through mysql's site than I cared to spend to get it
working.

The openssh people don't seem to have a problem with this and noone's
ever accused them of being lax.