[mythtv-users] mythtv tv recording suddenly grainy / ugly

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Sep 16 06:53:47 UTC 2008

Alan <alan at ufies.org> says:
> So I've had mythtv on an amd 2600 and 2G ram and a hauppage pvr-350
> running just fine for ages.  I got a loaner new tv (went from a 21"
> tube to a 52" plasma).  In theory nothing changed in terms of the
> hardware or the connection method from the pvr to the tv.
>
> However now recorded (and live) TV is very ugly and grainy (think
> really extreme digital noise or high jpeg compression). Playing divx
> movies show up just fine and nice and sharp.

Your old display was too blurry to display all the imperfections your
analog standard-definition recordings contain. The Divx AVI files you
are playing are either created from high-definition sources--whether
over the air or cable--then illicitly downloaded by you (since you
obviously don't have any high-definition recording inputs), or ripped
from DVDs, and are thus of much-higher quality. Get yourself better
recording methods. Hope that FireWire or clear QAM is available if
using cable or wait for full support of the Hauppauge HD PVR, and/or
get an ATSC capture card/HDHomeRun connected to an antenna.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array