[mythtv-users] Remote access to the back end

David Segall david at segall.net
Tue Sep 16 04:07:27 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 14/09/2008, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
>> Some time ago I added some information to the MythTV wiki that included
>>  a paragraph on providing remote access to a MythTV back end
>>  <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_Access#Enable_access_to_the_database_from_remote_computers>.
>>  The URL I provided
>>  <http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2> does not mention
>>  the need to provide an external web address in MythTV's database setup
>>  menu. That was probably a serious omission but I have recently installed
>>  Mythbuntu and that required the additional step of enabling the MySQL
>>  service in the Mythbuntu Control Centre.
>
> I think the user guide details on non-master backends adequately
> covers setting up database access for remote backend machines, but
> perhaps a very basic section covering 'ideal' network setup/settings
> for all machines could be beneficial to new/inexperienced users. The
> requirement for database server address is not as strict as that for
> master/local machine /IP/ address - the backend/frontend needs to able
> to connect to it, whether it's local or remote.
>
> Information on configuring the DB server to accept remote connection
> is also covered in detail in the user guide. Once the DB accepts
> remote connections - all a user has to do is enter the IP address of
> the DB server as requested.
>
>>  I now fear my wiki entry will lead the reader into hours of frustration
>>  but I am reluctant to add the details I know to my entry because the
>>  information about connecting to a remote database should be on a single
>>  web page. Does the web page already exist and I have failed to find it
>>  or should I add the information to the wiki despite my extremely limited
>>  experience with installing MythTV?
>
> I wouldn't worry too much - it's hidden away on the Microsoft Access
> wiki page, so I'm guessing it has a very small readership anyway :).
That's why I'm "worrying". I believe the information on ensuring that
the database is remotely accessible should be on a page where people
will find it. I agree that most of the required information is included
somewhere in the User Guide but I was hoping to find a summary.
> Incidentally. I would recommend using neither Access nor Base to
> manually edit the MythTV database - I would instead use a tool like
> phpMyAdmin which is simple to use and available in a web browser.
That is probably because you are a database administrator rather than a
database user. Access and Base provide a simple, updateable spreadsheet
view of a table. The "spreadsheet" can be the result of a filter, join
and/or sort without knowing any SQL. Access and Base provide database
access in the same way that MythTV offers "Custom Record" rather than
insisting on the SQL input. In addition, either Access or Base can be
used with almost any database so you only need to learn one tool.

--
David