[mythtv-users] Speed/disk access, multiple tuners, multiple myth drives

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 03:18:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Bobby Gill wrote:
> > My Mythbox specs are a PVR-150 and drive is a WD Sata 320gb 16mb cache.
> >
> > Currently if the tuner is recording and I try to watch a previous
> > recording at the same time, I notice slowdown in responsiveness for
> > things like rewinding/forwarding and whatnot. Now if I add another
> > tuner, would that make things smoother for playback?
> >
> > Or another scenario I'm pondering to get things smoove is that I'm
> > thinking of adding a Seagate 32mb cache drive. Now could I have Myth set
> > up so that it records LiveTV to one drive and keeps recordings on
> > another?So if it were to be recording Live TV while I'm watching a
> > previous recording, surely things would be faster.
> >
> > Just a bit confused on this, trying to get it a lil smoother as even
> > deleting files on the drive causes playback to pause, and I have the
> > delete files slowly option in mythtv-setup checked.
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> > Bob
>
> Are your MySQL database and recording/livetv directory on the save
> drive? If so, then you might get the best performance increase by moving
> the MySQL database to a different drive.

I agree, I had issues until I added a second drive (500GB) for recordings
only. I have a very minimal system for HD (ATSC) but after adding the second
drive and a little memory it does quite well and I hardly ever get pauses in
playback even if I'm recording two HD programs and watching another.

It's also worthwhile to do a little googling on mysql optimization.

Richard