[mythtv-users] Problems with libvisual (MythMusic) and xmame (MythGame)

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 00:58:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Timothee Groleau
<kde at timotheegroleau.com> wrote:
> I can now see all the libvisual visualizers in the music player settings.
> When launching the libvisual visualizers from amarok on the same box, they
> look beautiful, including projectM.

Yeah, libvisual and ProjectM on my old mythtv frontend worked great
and never crashed - unless I added too many other libvisual plugins.
The projectM/Milkdrop plugins are great tho. That was projectM-0.99
though, and I had to rebuild everything umpteen time from source to
get everying working *just* right.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem with the stability of
mythtv/libvisual/projectM is in the libvisual-projectM interface, and
if perhaps a better long term solution to get the cool ProjectM
visualizations would be to add direct support for libprojectM in
MythMusic.

> 2) this issue is not specific to mythtv but I figured some of you may know:
> xmame refuses to start (both from mythfrontend and standalone at the command
> line), and I can't find what's wrong. I get the following message:
> ==========
> #xmame.x11 /path/to/rom
> [snip]
> MIT-SHM Extension Available. trying to use...
> Error: failed to create MITSHM block.
> video_init failed

Not exactly an answer to your problem, but ... (especially since you
can't get xmame running) try sdlmame-0.127. Development on xmame has
ceased.

-Ross