[mythtv-users] Apple TV as frontend - but I don't have any widescreen yet

Mark R. Cervarich mythtv at shelfspace.com
Tue Sep 16 00:55:38 UTC 2008

I am highly intrigued by getting an Apple TV to use as a MythTV
frontend, but it only dawned on me today that it's output is an HDMI
cable.

So, some questions.

1) Pretend for a second that I bought an HD TV...could I connect the
Apple TV to it...and watch my OLD Standard Def recordings from MythTV

2) Purchase a converter: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html for
$139 (sale price).  Does anyone else have this?  Does anyone have a
different converter that's cheaper?

3) I figure going this route will 'future proof' my front-end
purchase, so that when I eventually do upgrade to HD, I'll already
have 1 piece.  (obviously, I'd need to upgrade my backend as well to
record in HD to take advantage of HD).

So, basically I'm looking for advice on if buying the Apple TV makes
sense for me given that I'm currently an SD only household.

thanks!
mark