[mythtv-users] Resolution of broadcast/recording.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 15 06:36:42 UTC 2008

On 09/15/2008 01:14 AM, clemens wrote:
> I know this has been asked before, but Ive never seen an answer.
>
> It would be REALLY nice to have an indication of the RESOLUTION
> of a broadcast (for real time watching of MythTV) or of recordings
> (for time shift watching) in the respective indices.
>
> Why is this info not in the current indices?
> Is it there and I just dont know how to turn it on?
> Surely its available when the index entry is being made.

For which frame of the video?  Note that every frame in a recording
could have a different resolution.

OK, in the real world, you won't see that, but resolution can change
from one part of the recording to the next--i.e. from the show to a
commercial and again to the next commercial (and I'm not even talking
commercial breaks, here).  Note, though, that interlacing can actually
change from frame to frame in real-world video--I'm assuming you're also
interested in whether it's 1080i60 or 1080p30 or 1080p24 or ...

So, you're probably thinking, "Well, obviously I want information for
the frame currently displayed on screen."  While it could be done, how
helpful will it be if people don't realize that the instantaneous
reading may not be indicative of the actual recording's resolution.

Regardless, there will be code in the future to scan a recording for
resolution and other information and put a "best guess" of that info
into the database (probably done at the same time as seektable building
or possibly commercial flagging).  This, IMHO, is far more valuable than
any instantaneous reading as it is most likely the info the user wants
to know.

Mike