[mythtv-users] mytharchive

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 00:49:55 UTC 2008

Happy Saturday Night!
I'm trying to use mytharchive to create a DVD copy of an episode of a show
so my wife can play it in her Classroom.  I'm running into trouble, however,
because I have my system setup with a dedicated backend (which stores all
the recordings locally), and several remote frontends.  It seems that
mytharchive needa a 'local' copy of the file to process it, but that's not
possible with my setup (I thought of temporarily installing mythfrontend on
the backend server, but I don't have a dvd burner on that machine, so I'm
stuck there too).  I looked it up in the wiki, and it reccommends the
following:
*"MythArchive reports that files are not available locally*

*MythTV usually streams video if you have a separate frontend and backend.
MythArchive cannot use streamed video: it needs to be able to access the
file locally. This can be accomplished by exporting the directory containing
your recordings via NFS <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/NFS> and then
adding the mountpoint to the frontend's Storage
Group<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups>
."*

So now my problem lies in how do I create a "frontend storage group" that I
can point my frontend to.  I have no problem with NFS, and I have mapped the
"recordings" folder to a local folder on my frontend machine but I'm not
sure how to create a "frontend storage group" specifically.  I konw how to
create a storage group for the backend, but not for the frontend.  So how
can I trick mytharchive into thinking my recordings folder is on the local
machine?  I suppose I could create a storage group for the backend that
would make the backend connect via NFS to the share on my frontend (which is
actually an NFS share from a physical drive on the Backend) but that seems
like it could create a black hole or something worse (and seems incredibly
hoaky besides).

Has anyone else out there managed to use mytharchve to make a DVD from a
recording file that is stored on a remote backend?  Is there any non-stupid
way of doing it that doesn't involve major hacking? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh