[mythtv-users] Problems with libvisual (MythMusic) and xmame (MythGame)

Timothee Groleau kde at timotheegroleau.com
Sat Sep 13 06:01:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm still setting up components of my mythtv box and I'm having the following
issues. I'm on a amd64 gentoo machine with kernel 2.6.25-r7, Xorg X11 7.2,
ATI drivers 8.522, mythTV 0.21_p18116

1) libvisual in mythMusic: the installation in gentoo was completely painless,
I can now see all the libvisual visualizers in the music player settings.
However, when they play, they look horrible, madspin for example looks like
big, plain, pinksish squares (although the motion kind of look like the real
madpsin visualizer). Additionaly, projectM crashes mythfrontend with the
following messages:
==========
dir:/usr/share/projectM/config.inp
reading ~/.projectM/config.inp
configFile: /home/timothee/.projectM/config.inp
MAX SAMPLES:2048
Floating point exception
==========

When launching the libvisual visualizers from amarok on the same box, they
look beautiful, including projectM.

2) this issue is not specific to mythtv but I figured some of you may know:
xmame refuses to start (both from mythfrontend and standalone at the command
line), and I can't find what's wrong. I get the following message:
==========
#xmame.x11 /path/to/rom
[snip]
MIT-SHM Extension Available. trying to use...
Error: failed to create MITSHM block.
video_init failed
==========

the shared memory is mounted as follow:
#mount
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

xmame was emerged with the following use flags:
games-emulation/xmame-0.106  USE="X alsa joystick opengl
sdl -arts -dga -esd -expat -ggi -lirc (-mmx) -net (-svga) -xinerama -xv"

Any help would be much appreciated,
Tim.