[mythtv-users] Converting a HD Tivo to myth box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 12 20:27:32 UTC 2008

Johnny Russ wrote:

>     They do run Linux, but the support for the hardware video chips is
>     proprietary.
>
>     My understanding is that that the TiVo situation was at least one of the
>     factors leading to the new and improved GPL. TiVo apparently was
>     adhering to the letter of the GPL, but not the spirit.
>

> They had additional hardware that ensured that no software can run
> unless it is signed by Tivo. So even though Tivo made the source
> available, if anybody customized anything it would no longer run on
> their hardware. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization.

That's about what I recall reading. I'm certainly not surprised that
Stallman doesn't like what TiVo did, he won't be happy until folks get
paid to run OSS.

It's an interesting issue, but the last I heard TiVo had yet to make a
profit, so in the final analysis perhaps Stallman wins. Certainly Linus'
endorsement of the proprietary hardware concept is interesting, and, as
he pointed out, the Linux kernel will never go GPLv3 due to the almost
impossibility of contacting every contributer and getting his or her
permission to make the change.

beww