[mythtv-users] Different mythvideo settings per frontend

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:53:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Chris Reeves <chrisrco_08 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> In case it's useful to anyone, here's the script I created.  It's nothing
> fancy, but it may save someone a few minutes if they run into this.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> hn=`hostname`
> if [ $hn == "mythmain" ]; then
>   xine -pfhq --no-splash "\"$1\""
> elif [ $hn == "mythfe" ]; then
>   mplayer -fs "$1"
> fi
>
> I put this script in the shared directory my videos are in, and simply set
> the mvthvideo play command to /media/share/scripts/play.sh %s
>
> One other interesting thing, in .20.2 at least, it seems like each frontend
> can have a different default player command, but when you set specific
> commands for specific file extensions, they end up the same across all
> frontends.  This may just be some strange issue with my setup though.
>
> Thanks again for the help,
> Chris

While that solution is KISS elegant, it shouldn't strictly be necessary.  I
am unfamiliar with xine, but mplayer and Internal both can handle that
scenario just fine with no modifications.  mplayer, because you can use a
line like:

mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s -ao alsa:device=digital -ac hwac3, -alang
en

which will fail gracefully if the alsa device isn't available, and Internal
because near as I can tell it uses your regular TV playback settings which
are frontend specific.  It seems like xine should have a command line that
should fail politely as well.