[mythtv-users] The perfect HTPC frontend?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:46:04 UTC 2008

2008/9/11 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> On 11/09/2008, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>>  I noticed on the list there's a lot of debate about what is the
>>  perfect frontend and I believe I've found it (I bought a few of these
>>  earlier in the year but it's taken me a while to get all the niggles
>>  sorted out.)
>>
>>  The unit in the UK was known as an Advent X22 but it was actually an
>>  Intel reference design that was manufactured by Elite Computer Group
>>  (ECS) and known in the states as the P60 (badged by various different
>>  brands).
>
> <snip>
>
>>  If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and if you come
>>  across any I'd recommend grab em if you can.
>
> i) Does it have gigabit ethernet?

Yes apparently - I've only used it at 100mb mode though through a switch)

> ii) Can it handle 1080p HD video?

No way to test - my screen only handles 720p - I can say 720p works
without problems and no ripping/tearing

> iii) Is it silent?

Yes - Only one small internal fan (I've had it open to install a
better antenna on the wifi)

> iv) Are all components supported under Linux?

Yes native under Fedora 9 - Everything was supported under Fedora 8
when I added modules to support the SAA Tuner card.

Funnily enough nowhere can you find info on the optical out but I have
it working as standard under F9 and 5.1 output into an AMP works
great.

> I found a review here -
> http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/hardware/2167605/review-advent-dhe-x22-desktop
> - do you agree with their findings?

Seems a fair review....I don 't use the dongle as I use a bluetooth
keyboard and bluetooth is built in.

This is an interesting read as well.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4414