[mythtv-users] how do I stop prebuffing problems with audio

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:21:41 UTC 2008

I have some news to report on this issue.  I have been able to solve
my problem; but I am not sure if it will apply to everyone's
situation.  Nonetheless, here it is for you to try:

I had noticed that the problem only seemed to occur with pre-recorded
programs and not LiveTV; and only if skipping was done.  If I just
played them from the beginning without any navigation or commercial
skipping, playback was good.  Additionally, if I watched LiveTV for a
few minutes; and then quit LiveTV, went out to the menu and watched
that LiveTV recording file in my "Recorded Programs", no problems were
seen at all.

This suggested to me that something about the way LiveTV makes its
recordings compared to normal recording profiles was the problem.
Since I'm using firewire capture, there really aren't any recording
profile settings to fiddle with.  The only thing I could think of was
the normal recordings are comm-flagged, while LiveTV isn't flagged.

So I made a recording but with comm-flagging turned off.  Playback now
works perfectly.  My problems went away.   I can jump forward or
backward in the recording, use time stretch, etc., without any
playback stuttering.  Therefore, there is something going on with
comm-flagging.

Just reading through this thread again, it seems that this solution
won't help people who are having problems even watching LiveTV, but
maybe it will help somebody.