[mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Sep 11 13:27:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not tried this particular disc, but when I was doing the same
>> thing I saw many newer DVDs that were just plain broken. i.e. They had
>> copy protection on them such that when ripping under Linux I would end
>> up with a iso file of 20GB or it would just hang sometime during the
>> process. At least many of the newer (less than a year old) discs have a
>> note on the package. I now use DVDFab 5 under Wine to rip them. Of
>> course I have no idea how you could do that from within Myth.
>>

> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection
> Sometimes I get DVDs that crap out when I rip with vobcopy, or transcode,
> but will work out with mplayer's -dumpstream option.   Some just refuse to
> get past certain points and I give up.  I think there are certain errors
> built into DVDs that a standalone player will just jump right past, but
> trying to get a bit for bit copy just cant be done.
> -Jason

I stopped using Myth to get my movies from the optical disk. I found it 10x
easier to just install WINE and run the free version of DVDFab from
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm I have yet to find one that it won't copy for
me... both new and old. You will have to run a transcode seperately though.

TwoOneSix