[mythtv-users] anybody using Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus ?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 00:20:57 UTC 2008

On 11/09/2008, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I need a DVB-S card and it looks like the Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus is
>  easy to purchase and might have support in the kernel.
>
>  Anybody using this card with v0.21 on a recent Linux distribution?
>  Success stories? Horror stories?

Works fine on 2.6.22/MythTV 0.21-fixes pointed at Astra 2D. Channel
scanning in MythTV can take a long time, and can crash (a rescan of
existing transports can usually resume well if it does bail out).
Filtering channels you want to see/avoid in the EPG can also take some
time - my scan picked up about 1000 services if I remember correctly,
so I just did some mass updates to the DB directly to select the UK
FreeSat channels.

It's a well supported card - I installed it and was watching TV
quickly. I used dvbscan, szap and kaffeine to test the card before
adding it to MythTV - almost the same process as configuring a DVB-T
card exept for needing to specify LNB information.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: