[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 10 19:33:11 UTC 2008

On 09/10/2008 02:56 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 01:39:08PM -0500, Nick F wrote:
>
>> As someone who relocated from the UK to the US two months ago - I'd add just
>> one point to the UK (ROW) vs. US 'debate'
>>
>> The quality of SD DVB-S and DVB-T transmissions is light-years ahead of the
>> SD NTSC signal on cable (I don't know about satellite).  And - this is from
>> multiple datapoints at people's houses/hotels/etc.
>>
>> European SD DVB transmissions (from properly mastered programmes like BBC
>> dramas) are very similar to DVD quality.  The gap between SD and HD is not
>> that great - so the demand hasn't been there.
>>
>> SD NTSC transmissions in the US are horrible - so it doesn't surprise me
>>
>      Amen and Helleujah brother!
>
>      DVD quality SD broadcasts would "blow away" most people and require
> considerably less bandwidth and decoding power. HDTV in America is a
> solution to a self inflicted problem.

Which was the point I was trying to make in saying that Europe did it
right (that would be all the "nonsense" that was deleted from my post to
make room for someone's reply).  Their approach is significantly cheaper
and gives a huge quality benefit.  The US approach is expensive and
difficult for consumers, producers, broadcasters, rebroadcasters, ...

But, "No matter how often [I] claim this, the facts just don't bear [me]
out."

But, regardless of what others say, I stand by my claim that digital !=
HDTV (and even the reverse need not be true).

>       I suspect that the push for digital broadcasts and HD at the same
> time were all meant to make it easier to push through extra DRM during
> the transition. People in the US aren't used to the idea that digital
> transmissions can be "standardized". If people got used to the idea of
> standard digital SD TV, they might not go along with the BS DRM that
> comes along for the ride with HD.
>
>       ...that and selling overpriced TVs.

Probably true.

Mike