[mythtv-users] reconciling database and recorded files

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:18:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 5, 2008, at 1:25 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:
>>
>> Been playing myth.find_orphans.pl,  it seems to me that I get a number of
>> false positives for "unknown files" due to having overlapping storage groups
>> on multiple backends.  The reason is because it's pulling the list of known
>> files for a single backend, so files attributed to another backend in the
>> same storagegroup are seen as unknown files.
>>
>> What I'm debating is whether it's "better" behavior to simply disable the
>> hostname check and check for all files or to check unknown files against
>> other backends.
>>
>> Anyone have a strong opinion?
>>

>> Is "overlapping storage groups on multiple backends" a supported
>> configuration? Seems to me like every backend should have their own storage
>> group.
>>

> I'd kinda expected it to be the most common configuration, especially since
> the backend can prioritize hard drive by location and fullness, at least
> among people who use storage groups.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, I figured if Jerome or someone
else was going to look at rewriting the scripts anyway, I should go ahead
and munge in some of the features I'd like and see if I can get em to
stick.  What I did was snag the end of the rebuilddatabase script and
cruelly and maliciously slap it onto the end of the find_orphans script, so
after you're done checking for extra files it then asks if you want to add
them.  Additionally, this one is a bit more storage group aware and now by
default assumes any backend may write to the same storagegroups.

I'd appreciate it if someone else would take a look at how it may be able to
be done better, I feel like I missed some of the things the bindings may be
able to offer me and I'm only using them in the most rudimentary sense to
handle the initial database and storage group work.