[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Wed Sep 10 00:55:50 UTC 2008

* Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> [2008 Sep 09 19:19 -0500]:
> On Sep 9, 2008, at 5:12 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > In a lot of ways, my cynical nature says that is precisely the reason
> > much of this has been set in motion.  Look at me, I quite content with
> > my 15 year old Zenith 25" set.  So long as I get a good quality
> > picture
> > from my STB, it's not going anywhere.  But the industry wants me to
> > believe it's obsolete and spend money I don't need to on a new HD set
> > and then DirecTV expects me to buy their HD pacakge(s).  But I'm happy
> > as a clam with what I see now.  Kind of spoils their party, eh?
>
> While at my house, we sit and scrutinize the quality differences
> between HD OTA and HD-PVR output on the 1080p display and are eagerly
> awaiting 5.1 audio support for the HD-PVR.

Heh.

Oh, I'm not saying I won't get there *some day*.  For an HD set I'm
waiting to see how the OLED technology will do when it finally gets a
more solid market footing and challenges LCD tech as promised.

Aside from subscribing to DirecTV HD, OTA HD is out of the question
where I live now which is in a valley with the nearest station offering
HD about 70 miles away, i.e. inaccessable without a 200 foot tower.
Perhaps one day I'll move out to the country on a good hill and can
experience OTA HD in all its goodness.

- Nate >>