[mythtv-users] Using HDParm to Spindown Hard Drives

Scott Kidder kidder.scott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:43:05 UTC 2008

I've recently been using 'hdparm' to configure my hard-drives to spin-down
after 5 minutes of idle time.  This works well and is handled automatically
after adding the 'hdparm' calls to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script.  Live TV
is recorded to my primary boot drive which will not spin down, and all other
recordings are saved to two larger drives that may spindown after
inactivity.  My goal is to save power, reduce noise, and reduce wear on the
drives; you know, the usual.

So, my question is: does the delay in spinning the drives up to record a
program cause any portion of the program to be lost?  I know that I might be
able to check by looking at the duration of the recorded files, but I
figured I might ask here first.  Is the content buffered before being
written to file?  If so, how large is the buffer (or, how long are the
drives permitted to spin up)?

Thanks in advance,

--
Scott Kidder