[mythtv-users] Comcast analog tuning problem

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 18:13:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

I installed a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600.  I installed the beta drivers as
others who have been able to get both the analog half and digital half of
the card working.  I am tuning over the air channels fine on the digital
half.  I'm trying to tune Comcast analog channels on the analog half without
success.

The analog tuner finds about 5 channels, which are just static or a staticky
pictures when you view them.  The channels are labeled as "UNKNOWN".  I had
an old Adaptec USB tuner that also could not tune Comcast channels.

Does anybody know if Comcast does something to there signal to that prevents
me from tuning on analog/PC capture devices?  I have "Comcast Digital
service, but my VCR and old NTSC TVs can tune the analog channels without a
problem.  I assume (maybe wrong) that I should still have my basic cable
channels available as analog.  If my capture card should tune Comcast cable,
is there a trick to the configuration?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Greg