[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 9 14:56:34 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/09/2008 08:18 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> I don't remember if 1080p24 is in the spec or not;
>
> Yep.  And 1080p30, 480p60,480p30, and 480p24.
> http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html
>
> Now if only the broadcasters would quit choosing to rebroadcast the
> low-quality interlaced and pillar-boxed*** versions of the old movies
> after "upconverting" them themselves.  I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper
> for them to license the garbage-quality version of the movie for
> broadcast than the DVD-quality or better version (but if anyone knows
> why, I'd love to know).

I can't speak to the cost issue, but even if the cost were the same,
it's still a logistics issue. Stations have large libraries of NTSC
stuff, which is easy to convert on-the-fly. They probably also have not
upgraded all of their studio facilities, and have a lot of gear that
will only handle NTSC, or SD resolution digital.

To stretch the B+W-to-Color analogy, remember that not all programs were
in color at first, it took a long time before everything was in color
(remember the "This program brought to you in living color" intros?).

The prime-time programs went color first, along with sports and
specials. This is basically what we are seeing now with HD.

I remember watching some color programs simply because they were in
color, no matter how bad they were. I see some people doing the same
thing with HD today.

> ***I find it very annoying when I see a 4:3 pillar-boxed image on my
> 16:9 screen that says, "This movie has been modified from its original
> version.  It has been edited for content /and to fit your screen/."

Boy do I agree with you on that one !!!

beww