[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 9 02:26:31 UTC 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> This is the part I don't get, because a big part of public safety is
> being able to get information when the power goes out.  Are there any
> OTA digital portable TVs?

I haven't seen any.  Portable radios that could tune the audio portion
of VHF TV stations used to be a good standby source of information
during natural disasters, too, and those will no longer work.

Aside from cost issues, digital portable TVs represent an interesting
marketing problem.  The public has been conditioned to think that
digital TV means HDTV.  But supporting 1080i on a 10" diagonal display
would make no sense whatsoever.