[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware decoders (was Re: completely new and have questions before I buy hardware)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:46:49 UTC 2008

On 08/09/2008, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>  The main point of my post, though, was that the PVR-350's hardware SDTV
>  decoder is a waste, and I firmly stand by that assertion.

Back in 2004/05 when my PVR-350 was the only straightforward way to
connect my Asus Pundit-R machine to my CRT TV (the ATI fglrx driver
had broken PAL TV-Out) it was worth every penny of the premium over
the then-current PVR-250, even if it didn't support OpenGL or Xv. Now
I use it as a regular MPEG-2 capture card, but, for me at least, it
served - and serves - a useful purpose. The picture quality was pretty
amazing too - easily beating regular TV-Out over composite/S-Video.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/