[mythtv-users] 16:9 zoom/stretch and 0.21

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Mon Sep 8 16:18:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 Allen said:

> I can't help you with you question but there has been a lot of discussion in
> this group about sound so I think you should go ahead and ask that if you
> get past this problem. One deal killer at a time, as they say.

Yeah, I've been reading all those posts and more over at ubuntuforums,
that's why I didn't ask.  I actually got it working sort of, but the
sound is much worse than with mythbuntu 7.10/ALSA 1.0.14, much quieter
(until I try listening to an audio stream in mythstream, and I get blown
out of the seats) and the rear speakers don't even sound like they are
there, even after I set them higher with alsamixer.

I think I will try to rebuild the alsa modules with the old 1.0.14
driver but with the newer kernel.  Either that or mythbuntu 8.04 also
leaves an older kernel option to boot into.  Booting into that gives
great sound but I was stuck with an X resolution of 800x600 max for some
reason.

I figure I get sound acceptable through one of these approaches spelled
out above.  But before I spend the time on that, I wanted to ask about
the zoom/stretch issue, because if that isn't fixable, then I might not
spend the time rebuilding ALSA or troubleshooting X.

J.S.