[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 14:04:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Justin The Cynical
<cynical at penguinness.org>wrote:

> Quenten Griffith wrote:
> > Thanks Brian, that is what I was afraid of, once the cable company goes
> all digital it will be encrypted and I will need their basic set top box in
> order to watch TV.  So in that case, if I use a STB I can use any card
> including analog and won't need a digital card.  So if I can get my hands on
> a PVR-350 I should get it and another STB.  Thanks everyone for your help.
>

> So your cable company is killing off all analog service?
>
> I ask as it seems that many people believe, for whatever reason, that
> the FCC ruling regarding analog broadcasts applies to cable service,
> when it actually applies to broadcast stations only.
>
> I don't know if it's a misunderstanding of the upcoming change, cable
> company reps being misinformed, or cable companies out right fibbing,
> but it seems to be a common misconception.

The new regulation does apply to cable companies in that they must keep OTA
stations analog unless they change all their services to digital.  I think
this ruling has to do with making sure people don't have to buy an optional
converter to get OTA stations, but that is just my take on it.

Allen