[mythtv-users] Storage group mount is showing up twice

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Sep 6 11:56:57 UTC 2008

Phil Bridges wrote:
> Hopefully somebody can help with this.  I have a master backend (MBE)
> and a slave backend (SBE).  I have two recording mounts in the MBE -
> /var/video/recordings and /var/video2/recordings (which I just added
> tonight) and one on the SBE - /var/video/recordings
>
> My MBE drives are locally linked at /mnt/MBE/recordings and
> /mnt/MBE/recordings2.  My SBE drives are locally linked at
> /mnt/SBE/recordings/
>
> On my MBE, the SBE drive is mounted at /mnt/SBE/recordings.  On my
> SBE, my MBE drives are NFS mounted at /mnt/MBE/recordings and
> /mnt/MBE/recordings2.
>
> My default storage group (the only storage group) ihas been entered on
> the MBE and has the entries:  /mnt/MBE/recordings,
> /mnt/MBE/recordings2, and /mnt/SBE/recordings.  There are no storage
> groups defined on the SBE
>
> When I start up just the MBE, I look at the Mythweb status page, and it shows:
>
> MythTV Drive #1:
>     * Directory: MBE:/mnt/SBE/recordings
>
> MythTV Drive #2:
>     * Directory: MBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings
>
> MythTV Drive #3:
>     * Directory: MBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings2
>
> Which is correct.
>
> When I start the SBE in addition, though, I get the following:
>
> MythTV Drive #1:
>     * Directories: MBE:/mnt/SBE/recordings, SBE:/mnt/SBE/recordings
>
> MythTV Drive #2:
>     * Directories: MBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings, SBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings
>
> MythTV Drive #3:
>     * Directory: SBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings2
>
> MythTV Drive #3:
>     * Directory: SBE:/mnt/MBE/recordings2
>
> Drive 3 is listed twice, both times with the SBE's mount point.  In
> addition, the Total Disk Space entry lists the capacity of Drive #3
> (the new drive) twice.
>
> Both backends have the following version numbers:
> MythTV Version   : 18116
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
> Network Protocol : 40
>

> Does anyone here have any suggestions?

You have to be consistent across all servers with your naming convention, so
that all partitions have the same names anywhere. The scheme I use (currently,
for those who remember me sorting this out recently) is that every host has
three mounts defined for it's own storage, and for every other (relevant) host,
in the format:

/mnt/<host1>/myth1
/mnt/<host1>/myth2
/mnt/<host1>/myth3
/mnt/<host2>/myth1
/mnt/<host2>/myth2
/mnt/<host2>/myth3

...rinse and repeat, where <hostn> is the name of each of your mythtv hosts.
These are where the partitions are mounted in /etc/fstab, and where the nfs
share points are defined in /etc/fstab and /etc/exports. Note that this does not
mean that one always has to have three partitions mounted, it just gives a bit
of leeway for the future, and is reasonably standardised. (For those of you with
more disks, set up more mount points. Obviously.)

Under each real partition, create a directory 'video' which is what you add to
your storage groups or whatever. This means that if for some reason the mount
fails, myth won't attempt to write all over your root partition since the
directory /mnt/<hostn>/mythn/video won't exist.

(If you have spare mount points, it helps when debugging, since you can just
swap the partition over to another mount point, and nothing breaks. E.g. myth1
-> myth3, partition is still accessable to debugger, but myth won't attempt to
write to it.)

You can use variations of this method, but the rule is straightforward: each
host must see every storage item with *exactly* the same name for mythtv to
handle it correctly.

--

Mike Perkins