[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 6 01:05:10 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> More importantly, be aware that the PVR-350 is a complete and total
> waste as any relatively modern CPU can decode MPEG-2-encoded SDTV
> without even breaking a sweat.  If you're trying to turn a 200MHz ARM
> processor or a PII 400MHz into a frontend, get the cable-company
> provided PVR--you'll be a lot happier.

True, unless you have specialized hardware that can't accept a video
card. Say a teeny tiny frontend with only 1 PCI slot.

But motherboards with halfway decent integrated video are very available
today.

A 350 is not the answer for any new build, but for some very legacy
hardware it might fill the bill.

The hardware makers stopped putting hardware mpeg decoders in their "DVD
capable" machines about the time of the PII 500 Mhz. processors, but
that was with very well optimized code. certainly anything running 1Ghz.
or more will have no trouble.

But Myth does more than just playback mpeg, you'd probably want a little
extra to handle the database, comm flagging etc.

beww