[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 23:44:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Quenten Griffith <qgriffith22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Also for example if I get the SiliconDust HDHomeRun which is digital and HD,
>>> and I hook the set-top box into the Cable in, the MythTV box to the network
>>> port on this tuner I should be able to get all the digitial encryped
>>> channels and the HD local channels over air?
>>
>> The HDHomeRun receives ATSC (over the air HD in the US) and QAM256
>> (most cable in the US) signals. It will not decrypt encrypted signals
>> (like HBO) so that you can display them. You'll need the cable
>> company's settop box for that (and you can record off of the settop
>> box in various ways)
>
> But you can only record the SD output of the STB, unless you use the
> HDPVR-1212, which has only very preliminary support at this time..

I should have added the various ways. I don't record off of STB, so
I'm not the one to ask. But I imagine you need a composite-in type
card (e.g. PVR250) to record the SD and a way to tune the STB to a
channel (IR Blaster for instance). I believe some STBs have FireWire
out and some cable companies enable this on the STB for HD. But, I
don't know the exact format. I expect it is MPEG2. As I said, I don't
have a STB.

brad