[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:58:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Quenten Griffith <qgriffith22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Also for example if I get the SiliconDust HDHomeRun which is digital and HD,
> and I hook the set-top box into the Cable in, the MythTV box to the network
> port on this tuner I should be able to get all the digitial encryped
> channels and the HD local channels over air?

The HDHomeRun receives ATSC (over the air HD in the US) and QAM256
(most cable in the US) signals. It will not decrypt encrypted signals
(like HBO) so that you can display them. You'll need the cable
company's settop box for that (and you can record off of the settop
box in various ways)

But, the HDHR is a great solution and many people have them here.

I suggest you go through the MythTV Wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) and a lot of your
questions will be answered.

Also check out MythTV Archives
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/)