[mythtv-users] Which Intel chipset?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:29:06 UTC 2008

> I have been considering that also, I mostly wanted to try and intel build
> just as a comparison.
> --

I don't have much experience there but I do have > 20 AM2 chips here
at work. For power consumption I believe it depends on how high end
you want to go. AMD is very good in the low to medium end in power
consumption and price but bad in the high end. And with CPU power
consumption you should note that AMD chips have the northbridge
(memory controller ...) on the CPU which in Intel's case this is on
the motherboard. So an Intel CPU that takes 7 to 10W less than an
equivalent AMD CPU in effect is using the same power.

John