[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 06:18:15 UTC 2008

> Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I just found the MVP:
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.html  It looks like
> the perfect solution. So for my still intermediate self to be clear, I plug
> the MVP via ethernet to my server in the basement (already have a few long
> ethernet cables going from basement to upstairs), plug the MVP into the TV
> and voila, the TV = frontend? I assume it's like Video 1 or something, one
> of the video inputs?

basically yes.  if you are recording hd it will need to be transcode
to sd.  the mediamvp has svideo and composite out so should connect to
most tvs and it comes with its own remote.  there are a few versions
of the mediamvp, the newest includes wireless and ethernet but if you
buy a cheaper one and don't need wireless that is possible too.  note,
if you are gonna get a mediamvp you should read up on the howtos:
http://www.mvpmc.org/ and http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/ were invaluable
to me.  note also that the mediamvp runs mvpmc so it is not a native
mythfrontend though with their adding a mysql client it can now do
most things a frontend can (schedule and delete recordings, comm skip,
set bookmarks and watch livetv).  you also should note that you will
at least need to setup a tftp server and possibly a dhcp server though
once you get it setup you just let it run.

we have a wireless mediamvp and with sd over wireless it is flawless.
i just really like the fact that it is small, quiet and has no moving
components (hard drive!) so hopefully it lasts for a good long time!