[mythtv-users] LiveTV no longer creating new file when program ends, records to same file until partition full

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 3 20:32:42 UTC 2008

On 09/03/2008 04:22 PM, Doug Mandell wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 09/03/2008 02:13 PM, Doug Mandell wrote:
>>>  Until recently MythTV's LiveTV worked as described in the wiki here:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LiveTV
>>>
>>> Formerly after a program ended, LiveTV stopped recording to the old
>>> file, and started recording to a new file for the next program.
>>>
>>> Some time in the last week or so, however, something has broken.  MythTV
>>> no longer noticed when the program ends, and continues recording to the
>>> same file until a channel has been changed, I quit LiveTV, or
>>> (theoretically, since MythTV can't autoexpire it while it's recording)
>>> the partition fills up.  I left Myth in LiveTV last night and when I
>>> turned the TV on it still thought it was recording the show I left it on
>>> last night, 9.5 hours later.
>>>
>>> So, anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?  There is guide
>>> data, although according to the wiki if there isn't it should record 30
>>> minute segments anyway.  I'm using the version of MythTV that comes with
>>> Ubuntu Hardy (0.21, right?).  I'm not sure what else is needed to
>>> troubleshoot the problem (which is why I'm here).  Any and all help I
>>> get here would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> Correct times/time zones on all mythbackend and mythfrontend systems?
>>

> There is only a single frontend/backend system, and the time/time zone
> is correct.

Remember that it's possible for the time zones to be different for the
frontend and backend running on a single computer (after all, that's how
I tested my, "verify that the time zone is the same as the master
backend's on all clients," patch).

>   Would an incorrect time or time zone setting cause MythTV
> to record all LiveTV to a single file?  Even if it were in the wrong
> time zone, wouldn't it just record the wrong program or start/end and
> the wrong time,

The latter.  However, if the system says, "record until 8:20PM" and your
time zone is off by 12 hours...

>  but still switch to a new file every half hour (or hour,
> or whatever, depending on the schedule)?

Only switches when it starts a new recording, which only happens when an
old recording finishes.

Mike